Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Favorite Family Recipes ~ Molasses Fruit Bars

Molasses Fruit Bars

Molasses Fruit Bars are one of our family's favorite recipes. And it's another recipe that was printed in the Relief Society cookbook called "The Best of Everything." Last year I shared a recipe for Peanut Butter Fingers from this same cookbook.

Relief Society is the women's organization of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.



This cookbook has been in our family for over 48 years. It first belonged to my mom and she handed it down to me. Here's the cookbook page showing the Molasses Fruit Bars recipe.



Beverly Green originally shared this recipe. As you can see, my mom made notations next to the recipe amounts. The recipe I'm sharing today will fit into a large (approx. 17½" x 11½") cookie sheet.

 Molasses Fruit Bars

As you can see from the photo above, these cookie bars contain raisins. If you aren't a fan of raisins, they can be left out of the recipe. Or (and I've done this), prior to adding the raisins, place part of the mixed dough onto the cookie sheet. Spread the dough to fill part of the sheet. Add the raisins to the rest of the dough in the mixing bowl, mix and spread the remaining dough onto the empty part of the cookie sheet. Spread both kinds of dough out so they fill the whole cookie sheet.

Here's a picture to show you what I mean. It doesn't have to be perfect. You can adjust the amount of non-raisin dough depending on how many people don't like raisins.




I hope you enjoy these soft and delicious cookie bars. 

RECIPE

Molasses Fruit Bars

Ingredients

1-1/2 cups shortening (I use butter flavored shortening)
2 cups light brown sugar
2 large eggs
½ cup light (golden) molasses

4 cups sifted flour
4 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. ginger
1 tsp. cloves

1-2 cups chopped raisins

Directions


Place shortening, brown sugar, eggs and molasses into large mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer until well blended. Add the following sifted ingredients: flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves. Blend well.

Stir in 1 to 2 cups chopped raisins (depending on your love of raisins; you can also omit raisins). Grease and flour large jelly roll size (1 inch deep) cookie sheet. Pat dough evenly into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.

While warm, frost whole pan of cookies with:

1-1/2 Cups powdered sugar
Hot water to make paste
Approx. 2 drops of vanilla

Cool. Cut into squares and enjoy. These keep well and have more flavor after being stored.


Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2014 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. I read this and the recipe looked so familiar - sure enough, I blogged about my favorite hermit cookie recipe three years ago at From Maine to Kentucky. It is almost the same as this but without the frosting, and it's not baked in a pan. Check out my post to see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! Your hermit cookies recipe really does look similar to my Molasses Fruit Bars recipe. I'd never heard of hermit cookies before. Thanks for sharing your recipe here! And thanks for reading my blog post and leaving your comment! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh yes, they really are delicious Andrea. If you decide to try them, feel free to stop by again and let me know how you like them. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...