Wednesday, December 3, 2014

52 Ancestors: #48 ~ Reverend Ebenezer Tyler Webster

This is part of the "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" Challenge begun by Amy Johnson Crow, author of the blog No Story Too Small.


Ebenezer Tyler Webster
Reverend Ebenezer Tyler Webster


This is a photo of Reverend Ebenezer Tyler Webster, my maternal 3rd great-granduncle. He was a brother of my 3rd great-grandfather, Moses Augustine Webster. Moses named his oldest son Ebenezer. That son was my 2nd great-grandfather, Ebenezer Perry Carlisle Webster, who served in the Civil War. Moses must have named his son Ebenezer after his brother. I think that's wonderful. I like seeing ancestors who named their children after family members.

Ebenezer Tyler Webster was born on 27 December 1795 in Columbia, New York to his parents Augustine Webster and Mary Tyler.

Ebenezer married Sarah Sophaniah Lane on 4 October 1824 in Franklin, St. Louis, Missouri. They were the parents of ten children. Sadly, only four of their children survived to adulthood.


  1. Barton Augustine Webster (1826-1866)
  2. Verlinda M. Webster (1827-1894)
  3. Son Webster (1829-1830)
  4. Celena Jane Webster (1831-1835)
  5. Betsey Elvira Webster (1833-1835)
  6. Martha Amelia Webster (1836-1837)
  7. Charles Wesley Webster (1838-1917)
  8. Mary Elizabeth Webster (1841-?)
  9. Fletcher Cook Webster (1843-1845)
  10. Joseph Wayland Webster (1845-1931)

It's so tragic that Ebenezer and Sarah lost so many of their children. They lost their two daughters, Celena and Betsey, in August of 1835. Celena passed away only seven days after Betsey. I'm wondering if there was some illness that struck the family or community at that time. I'll need to do research to see if I can find the causes of their deaths.

Ebenezer Tyler Webster passed away on 16 January 1877 in Van Wert, Van Wert, Ohio. He was buried at the Woodland Union Cemetery in Van Wert, Van Wert, Ohio.


Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2014 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved

10 comments:

  1. I wonder how those people faced loosing one child after another. I have ancestors that lost many children as well. I wonder if any of the siblings had journals and may have recorded anything about the deaths. I have found mention of deaths in journals when they were not to be found elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle,

      Yes, I don't know how they handled it either. Such loss and tragedy. I imagine their faith kept them going.

      Finding journals would be an amazing thing! You're very blessed to have access to the journals of your ancestors.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Jana, this post caught my eye because I also have an Ebenezer WEBSTER (in fact, two of them) in my family tree. I'll share a few details just in case you or your readers find a connection. My first Ebenezer WEBSTER was born in Sept 1809 and baptised in Southwark, Surrey, England (son of William WEBSTER and Elizabeth Harley PORTER). I don't know what became of him, but I need to investigate a burial in 1826 in Leeds, Yorkshire, England. My other Ebenezer WEBSTER (son of George WEBSTER and Sarah GIBLETT) was (according to the 1851 British census) born c.1842, Manchester, Lancashire, England. DNA results for our WEBSTER line are on FamilyTreeDNA. I notice that your Rev. Ebenezer Tyler WEBSTER named one of his children 'Charles Wesley'. This may be irrelevant, but there is an Ebenezer WEBSTER, Wesleyan Methodist minister, in the Methodist Ministers Death Index 1800-1963. The 'M.A.', incidentally, refers to his qualifications, not his given names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy,

      I also have several Ebenezer Webster's in my family tree. Actually I have six of them! I compared your Ebenezer Websters with the ones in my family tree and don't see a match. But, hopefully one of my readers will be able to make a connection with your Webster line. Also, thanks for the info. about the Ebenezer Webster in the Methodist Ministers Death Index. I'll check that out. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Whether it's in my family, your family, or some stranger's family, those close death dates get me every time. I just have to send up a prayer of gratitude that it didn't happen to me. I don't know how parents pick up and keep going after losing their sweet children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Wendy. It's so sad to see the death dates of little ones in our family trees.

      Delete
  4. Hi Jana, I am hopeful to contact you. I have a family bible that says it was presented to John Grubs in 1836 by Rev. Ebenezer T. Webster.

    I believe that in that time, they were in or near Fayette County Ohio. Does this fit in your timeline? Also, what kind of reverend was he? Methodist/Quaker?

    I would really love to hear anything you might have to corroborate any of this if you want to contact me. Please email paparottzi@gmail.com

    I look forward to hearing from you.

    Cameron Grubbs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is fantastic Cameron! Thank you so much for contacting me. I sent you an email and I look forward to hearing back from you soon.

      Delete
  5. Cameron: He was a Methodist, according to "History of Hopewell Methodist Episcopal Church, Groveport Circuit, from the year 1805 to 1838, preview by the Rev. John C. Jackson, Jr., D. D., Columbus, Ohio"

    My 4th great-grandfather, by the way.

    How about you, Jana?

    ReplyDelete
  6. By the way, Jana, if you check out my Ancestry.com family tree, we have a lot of common ancestors via that Webster line. They go back to Methusaleh, "literally" -- if you believe the legendary norse Scyldings and Japeth son of Noah. (I don't, personally, but I have these origin myths in our Ancestry tree if you want to check it out.)

    https://www.ancestry.com/family-tree/tree/155830575/family/pedigree

    There are hundreds (probably thousands) of medieval ancestors up-branching off the Webster descents. Which you and I share, along with a zillion other folks alive today!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...