Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Advent Calendar – December 2, 2014 ~ Christmas Cards

NOTE: This is a repost from December 2012.

This is part of the "Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories" by Thomas MacEntee of GeneaBloggers. If you'd like to join in the fun, just click HERE.

December 2 – Christmas Cards

Do you still send Christmas cards or has electronic communication taken the place of this tradition? Do you remember sending Christmas cards as a child – making a list, sending out your family’s cards and then checking the mailbox for cards sent to your family? How did your family display the cards?

Write about anything related to Christmas cards and your memories of Christmases past.

My parents did send and receive Christmas cards.  And they were displayed in our home.  As you can see from the photo below, one of the ways my mom displayed them was by attaching the cards to a ribbon which was then attached to the wall.



I don’t display my Christmas cards the same way my mom did, but I have kept up the tradition of sending Christmas cards to family and friends.   Lately though, I’ve started sending those fun Christmas photo cards from Costco instead of traditional Christmas cards.  I also include a Christmas letter updating the happenings of our family.

You could say that my Grandma Ingrid sent a type of photo Christmas card as well in 1939.  Here is a cute little Christmas card I found in one of my Grandmother Ingrid’s Books of Remembrance.  Pictured are my Grandpa Arthur and Grandma Ingrid Iverson with their three children.



At this special time of year when we celebrate the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ, I'd like to wish each of you a very Merry Christmas!

Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2014 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved

4 comments:

  1. Jana, I love your grandmother's Christmas card! I have similar ones from my grandmother. It is so special to have these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa! How fun that you have similar Christmas cards from your grandmother. I wonder if this was a popular style back then. Thank you so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Some of my best childhood memories were helping my mom address Christmas cards. I felt so important applying the seasonal stamps and return-address labels. It was just as exciting running out to the mailbox everyday to see how many Christmas cards had arrived for my family. Electronic media has pretty much changed the world as we know it, but there's still no bigger thrill than a "mail moment," especially during the holidays.

    Thanks for sharing, Jana. Your blog is -- and always has been -- one of my favorites.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi David,

      Thank you so much for your very kind comments about my blog! I'm flattered!

      It's wonderful that your mom included you in your family's Christmas cards tradition. And I agree. It's always nice to get an actual card or letter in the mail.

      Merry Christmas to you and yours!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...