Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Great-Grandpa Carl Gillberg's WWII Draft Registration Card




While I was exploring Ancestry.com's new website (which I really like by the way), I was surprised to find the WWII Draft Registration Card for my paternal great-grandfather, Carl Albert Gillberg.1  By the way, the photo of Carl (above) is from my grandmother, Ingrid Gillberg's, pedigree chart. Ingrid was one of Carl's daughters.

Here is Carl's WWII Draft Registration Card.


This was new information for me. I had no idea Great-Grandpa Carl had registered for the draft during WWII. This draft registration was the Fourth Registration, also known as "the old man's registration."

Information gleaned from the front of this card:

Name: Carl Albert Gillberg
Place of Residence: 12306 Wicks St., Roscoe, Los Angeles, California
Mailing Address: Same as Place of Residence
Telephone: None [Well, that's interesting. They didn't have a phone.]
Age: 60
Place of Birth: Stockholm, Sweden
Date of Birth: January 8, 1882
Name and Address of Person Who Will Always Know Your Address: Jack McElroy - Same as 2 [Jack McElroy was Carl's son-in-law.]
Employer's Name and Address: Unemployed (Baker)

And of course, I love that I have Carl's signature on this document!

Here's the back of Carl's draft registration card.


It's wonderful that a physical description is included in these draft registration cards.

Information gleaned from the back of this card:

Race: White
Height: 5'8"
Weight: 180 pounds
Eye color: Blue
Hair color: Gray
Complexion: Light
Other obvious physical characteristics: Glasses, left forefinger missing
Date of registration: April 26, 1942

I already knew that Carl was missing part of his left forefinger because this fact was stated in Carl's two Declaration of Intention documents and in Carl's Certificate of Naturalization. In my post titled "Left Forefinger Off" I shared two photos of Carl that show this interesting characteristic.

Here's the link to Ancestry.com's database in which I found Carl's draft registration card ~ U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942. You may want to check it out to see if your ancestor is listed there too.

Thanks for reading!

Jana
 
© 2015 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved


1 "United States World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942," database, Ancestry.com (www.ancestry.com : accessed 2 June 2015), Carl Albert Gillberg, serial no. 3047, Local Draft Board 177, San Fernando, Los Angeles, California, citing The National Archives at St. Louis, St. Louis, Missouri; World War II Draft Cards (4th Registration) for the State of California; Record Group Title: Records of the Selective Service System; Record Group Number: 147.

4 comments:

  1. I like reading the backs of the registration cards, too. It's amazing how many people had parts of a finger missing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Military records really are awesome! Thanks for stopping by Wendy!

      Delete
  2. I love the back also because it helps me envision a little what they might have looked like. I helped index various military records for FamilySearch and it really helped me appreciate the value of those records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for indexing those military records Michelle!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...