Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Decisions, Decisions ~ Choosing Which Classes to Take at the BYU Conference on Family History & Genealogy 2015


As I announced in a previous post, I've been asked to be an official conference blogger for the upcoming BYU Conference on Family History & Genealogy. I've been looking at the schedule of classes offered at the conference, and there are so many awesome classes to choose from that it's hard to decide which ones to attend.

I've printed out the conference schedule and have circled some classes I'm very interested in, but even with that, I've noticed that during some of the time slots, I've circled two classes. Uh oh. I need to decide which one to take.

Thankfully, there's still time to decide. The BYU Conference on Family History & Genealogy begins on Tuesday, July 28 and ends on Friday, July 31. I still have five weeks to decide.

Here's the list of tracks offered at the conference:

Tuesday, July 28th

  • ICAPGen
  • Beginner
  • Methodology
  • U.S./Canada Research
  • German Research
  • Online Research
  • Writing/Publishing Family History
  • FamilySearch

Wednesday, July 29th

  • ICAPGen
  • Online
  • DNA Research
  • U.S./Canada Research
  • British Isles Research
  • Preserving Family History
  • Finding Stories
  • Technology/Tools

Thursday, July 30th

  • Methodology
  • Immigration and Emigration
  • International Research
  • LDS Ancestral Research
  • Scandinavian Research
  • Technology/Tools
  • Military Records
  • Vendor

Friday, July 31st

  • Vendor
  • Land/Probate Records
  • Methodology
  • U.S./Canada Research
  • British Research
  • Computers & Technology
  • FamilySearch
  • FamilySearch Consultants

Don't these tracks sound awesome? Four days of amazing tracks and classes to choose from.

Here's an example of my dilemma. On Tuesday two classes are offered at the same time after lunch: "Fun With...Citing Sources!" taught by Jean Wilcox Hibben and "Ohio: Crossroads to the West" taught by Kory L. Meyerink. I have ancestors from Ohio, but I'd also like to learn more about citing sources. See? What am I going to do?

And then there's this other example from Thursday: Should I take "Catholic Church Records in Latin America" taught by Arturo Cuellar or "It's Not All Online! Using Printed Sources for Scandinavian Research" taught by Ruth Maness? I have ancestors from Mexico and Brazil on my mom's side. I also have ancestors from Norway and Sweden on my dad's side. Again, I have a decision to make.

These are just two examples. I could give you others. But really, isn't this actually a great problem to have? This just shows the wonderful variety of classes offered at this conference.

I'm really excited about and looking forward to attending the BYU Conference on Family History & Genealogy

If you are interested in attending this wonderful conference, it's not too late to register. Just click on the following link to go to the conference website.

And to see the conference class schedule, click on the "Schedule" tab at the top of the BYU Conference website and then click "Conference Schedule," or you can just click the link below.

I'd love to know if you are also planning on attending this conference. If you are, please let me know in the comments below.

Thanks for reading!

Jana 

© 2015 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. That's always the hard part about attending a conference---and so often the classes I want most are at the same time!

    I heard once that we often take subjects we already know a fair amount about just because that is where our interest lies and I've noticed that I do tend to do that. It's tough for me because I definitely have my favorite topics. I've also found that a good instructor can teach anything, so I weigh it out based on the instructor a lot. Anyway you do it, you are going to have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your wonderful insight Michelle! I'm really looking forward to attending this conference. I'm sure I'll learn a lot. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...