Thursday, July 19, 2012

Those Places Thursday - Speaking of Camping….

For those of you who follow my Fab Finds posts, you will know that my family and I went camping last week.  We spent several days at Shaver Lake enjoying time with our immediate and extended family.

We had fun kayaking…



swimming and jumping off the “jumping rock”…



and cooking in our Dutch Oven.


And for the first time in the 10 years we’ve camped at Shaver Lake, we saw cows meandering out of the forest to walk through the meadow.



So, what does all this have to do with my ancestors or genealogy?

Well, it turns out my grandpa and grandma, Arthur and Ingrid Iverson, spent time camping too.

Here’s what Grandma Ingrid said about her camping experiences:

“I know for every vacation it seemed like we would go to Yosemite.  It was just a beautiful place.  To get away and to be alone, but I of course, was frightened of the bears because it was always a little frightening to go where the wild animals were.  Where they were able to roam at ease.  And they would come around your tent and sniff and the fearful thought of the children in the tent, hoping they wouldn’t crash in.”  (Vocal History of Ingrid Gilberg Iverson Crawford)

Yikes!  I would not want to go camping where bears were sniffing at the tent!  No thank you!  I'll take cows in the meadow over bears around my tent any day!

Here are some photos of my brave grandparents from a few of their camping trips.

I love this picture of Arthur at home in his camping gear.

Arthur at Home in his Camping Gear
circa 1934
Ingrid in Front of Yosemite Falls
1933


Ingrid and Arthur at Yosemite
Ingrid at Yosemite

Ingrid at Yosemite

I think I see a box of Kellogg’s cereal sitting on the table behind Ingrid.  Do you see it?

Ingrid at Yosemite

Don’t you just love that old car in this photo?

Ingrid at her Campsite

This photo of Arthur is fun too.

Arthur Needs a Shave After Camping

What about you?  Do you enjoy camping?  Do you have a favorite place to go camping?  Share your camping stories in the comments below or on your own blog.  And if you’d like to, you can include a link to your blog post in the comments section below.

If you don't have any camping stories, I'd still love to hear your comments.  Thanks for reading!

Thanks for reading!

Jana
Copyright © Jana Last 2012

4 comments:

  1. Looks like Kelloggs to me! I was a Girl Scout and a Girl Scout leader, so most of my camping has been in that context. Husband doesn't camp, so I haven't been since my girls graduated from high school and Girl Scouts. I may have to take your cue and do a blog about camping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I think you're right about the cereal. My husband thinks it says Kelloggs Whole Wheat Flakes on the box.

      My parents weren't big into camping when I was growing up. In fact, I only remember one camping trip as a kid. And that was NOT a good memory. Someone disturbed a wild beehive while gathering firewood and I remember being chased by wild bees. Not good! Ran to the car, got in, thought I was safe only to find a bee inside with me!

      My camping husband has shown me that camping doesn't have to be a traumatizing experience! :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds like, despite the bears, Yosemite was beautiful enough to get your grandparents to return! Used to love to camp, but it's been a while since I did. Might have to do that again soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello ljhlaura, yes, Yosemite is very beautiful. We've visited there, but never camped there before. I have to say my grandparents were way more brave than I am. Even with the beauty of Yosemite, the idea of bears near my tent would keep me from camping there. :)

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...