Saturday, July 21, 2012

Sepia Saturday 135–A Family Portrait Before They Leave

Sepia Saturday provides an opportunity for genealogy bloggers to share their family history through photographs.

Sepia Saturday 135 July 21, 2012

Today’s Sepia Saturday prompt shows a photo of the “Health Fairy” with a group of children at Ithaca High School in 1920.

I’m going to be way off-theme for today’s post…unless we change the “Health Fairy” into the “Tooth Fairy.”  Hmm…yes…I think I will do just that.  Voila!  The “Health Fairy” is now the “Tooth Fairy.”

So, in keeping with my new “Tooth Fairy” theme, I will share a photo of my Dentist Grandpa, Debs Webster and his family before they left Brazil to immigrate to the United States.  If you’ve been following their story, then you’ll remember that in the last installment, they just arrived in New York City in July of 1952.

This family portrait was taken in Sao Paulo, Brazil on June 10, 1952.  Included in the photo are Debs and my step-grandmother Willis, whom I introduced to you in a previous post, my mother, and my two uncles.
 



I promise to continue with their story as they travel across the United States by car on their way to their final destination of Southern California.

Please click
here to see what other Sepia Saturday participants have written about this week.

Thanks for reading!


Jana

Copyright © Jana Last 2012

16 comments:

  1. That was cleverly done! I bet Debs knew a tooth fairy or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Little Nell! I appreciate you stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  2. I liked the way you turned the prompt "health fairy" into the "tooth fairy" into the story of your dentist ancestor - very inventive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do look forward to learning more! I am your newest follower, Jana. Great picture.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following my blog Kathy! I appreciate it.

      Delete
  4. What a nice family photo. They certainly had a long ride ahead of them from NYC to Southern California. Did they make it somewhat of a vacation with stops along the way for points of interest? Look forward to hearing more about their cross country trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Queen Bee, Thanks for stopping by!

      Yes, it appears that they made several stops along the way to Southern California to visit different points of interest as well as family and friends.

      Delete
  5. I am enjoying following your posts and looking forward to hearing more about their journey across USA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon for reading and for your kind comments!

      Delete
  6. I do like real stories of real people richly illustrated with images such as the one you use. They give us such a fascinating insight into social history. I look forward to reading more about your grandfather and his family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alan, thanks for stopping by! I so appreciate your kind comments and interest in reading about my grandfather's family.

      Delete
  7. Slick segue. I'm looking forward to the next installment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy! I'll be working on the next installment soon. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa! I really will continue the story...planning on it next week. :)

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...