Wednesday, November 16, 2016

When Did My Grandparents Vote In Their First U.S. Presidential Election?


Katherine R. Wilson's recent post titled My Grandparents’ First U.S. Presidential Election caused me to wonder about my own grandparents and when they may have been able to vote for a U.S. president for the first time in their lives too.

While doing research for this post, I found a helpful website called "270 TO WIN." The website includes a "Historical Presidential Elections" feature under the "Presidents" tab. You can see presidential election results from 1789 to 2012.

Arthur Harry Iverson
The first presidential election my paternal grandfather, Arthur Harry Iverson, would have been able to vote in was held in 1936. He was 25 years old at the time and was living in California. The candidates were Franklin D. Roosevelt and Alfred M. Landon.

Ingrid Anna Gillberg
My maternal grandmother, Ingrid Anna Gillberg, would not have been old enough to vote in that election. Her first opportunity to vote in a U.S. presidential election would have been in 1940. At that time she would have been 27 years old and was living in California. The candidates were Franklin D. Roosevelt and Wendell L. Willkie.

Debs Warren Webster
My maternal grandfather, Debs Warren Webster, immigrated to the United States in 1952. He became a U.S. citizen in 1973, so his first chance to vote in a U.S. presidential election was in 1976. Debs would have been 63 years old at the time and was living in California. The candidates were Jimmy Carter and Gerald R. Ford.

Willis Quillin
My maternal grandmother, Willis Quillin, (technically step-grandmother, but she is Grandma to me) immigrated in 1952 along with her husband Debs and their family. She also became a U.S. citizen in 1973. Therefore, her first opportunity to vote in a U.S. presidential election was in 1976. She was 56 years old at the time and was living in California. The candidates were Jimmy Carter and Gerald R. Ford.

Did my grandparents actually vote in these U.S. presidential elections? I don't know. But these are the dates when they were first eligible to vote.

How about your grandparents? When was their first opportunity to vote in a U.S. presidential election?

Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2016 Copyright by Jana Iverson Last, All Rights Reserved

6 comments:

  1. I saw Katherine's post and I like how you've added photos to show us who's who in your voter family tree! My grandparents were eligible to vote in the 19-teens. I can predict who they might have voted for throughout the years because of one memory: In their apartment was a framed photo of FDR clipped from the newspaper. He was one of their political idols.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this, Jana, and I especially love that you added photos, which makes me want to go back and add photos to mine, so you've inspired ME! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jana, a great topic! My grandparents moved on election Day 1940 but made sure they voted in the morning before the move. I heard that story many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Colleen! That's a great story about your grandparents. Good for them for taking the time to vote on such a busy day!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...