Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Tombstone Tuesday–Michael Christian Christopherson

My regular readers may remember that my family and I spent an enjoyable time in Utah on vacation recently.  I wrote about it in my blog post I'm Back!!.  We had a great time together.

And as any other good genealogist would do, I planned a couple visits to local cemeteries while we were there.

One of the cemeteries we visited was the Ogden City Cemetery.  If you have ancestors buried in this cemetery, be sure to check out the cemetery's link.  This website allows you to search for your ancestor's burial plot and see it on a map.  Very cool!



Buried in this cemetery are several of my Christopherson ancestors from Norway.  Today’s post will focus on my 3rd great-grandfather, Michael Christian Christopherson.

 
Grave Marker of the Christopherson Family


Christopherson Family Gravestone

Michael Christian Christopherson Grave Marker

Transcription of Grave Marker:

MICHAEL C.
Christopherson
Born at
Christiansund
NORWAY
JAN 18, 1812

Died
SEP. 24, 1882


Michael was born on January 18, 1812 in Christiansund, More Og Romsdal, Norway.  He was the son of Christopher Christiansen and Peternilla or Petronella Mikkelsdatter.

Michael married Serianna Olsdatter on February 15, 1834 in Tromso, Troms, Norway.  They were the parents of seven children:
  1. Christiana Christopherson (1835-1889)
  2. Ole Anthon Christopherson (1837-1914) - My 2nd great-grandfather
  3. Peter Christopherson (1840-1930)
  4. Serianne Michelia Christopherson (1843-1928)
  5. Julia Maria Christopherson (1845-1874)
  6. Anne Johanna Elizabeth Christopherson (1848-1935)
  7. Henning Abraham Christopherson (1857-1937)
Michael and his family immigrated to the United States sometime between 1867 and 1875.  Michael died on September 24, 1882 in Harrisonville, Weber, Utah.

More on this family in future posts.

Thanks for reading!


Jana

Copyright © Jana Last 2012

6 comments:

  1. What a slick little tool at the Ogden City Cemetery. I wonder why more cemeteries don't do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy!

      Ya, it really is a helpful tool. And it would be awesome if ALL cemeteries had this capability on their websites.

      Delete
  2. I wish cemeteries in my country had the same system. Would save a lot of wasted hours. Great post!

    Beneath Thy Feet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Nicola! I appreciate it very much!

      Unfortunatley, not all of our cemeteries here have this same system either. It definitely would make our searches a whole lot easier if they did. :)

      Delete
  3. I agree with the others--the tool is awesome. At the cemeteries that I'm interested in, it tends to take a lot of time and effort to find any information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish every cemetery had this tool. That would be so amazing!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...