Monday, April 23, 2012

Talented Tuesday - My Great-Grandpa Was An Inventor?


Watson (Frederick) Emory Webster
 
Yep, it turns out that my "Traveling Dentist" Great-Grandpa, Watson (Frederick) Emory Webster, was also an inventor!

My uncle (Frederick's grandson) alerted me to this fact.  He did a search on Google.com for Frederick Emory Webster and found a patent that was awarded to Frederick in 1899. Frederick invented improvements to a Dental Handpiece. Thank you to my uncle for passing this interesting information on to me!

Frederick Emory Webster’s Patent
Patent number: 636476
Filing date: Apr 28, 1889
Issue date: Nov 7, 1899

Frederick Emory Webster Patent Pg. 1
Frederick Emory Webster Patent Pg. 2
Frederick Emory Webster Patent Pg. 3

If you’d like to view the patent on Google.com, here's link -
 
Frederick Emory Webster Patent
 
My uncle also told me that Frederick had another talent besides being a dentist, optician, photographer, and inventor.  This is what my uncle wrote to me about Frederick, “My dad (your grandfather) also told me that he could write with both hands simultaneously and would do it to show off.”  Kind of a quirky talent, but interesting information nonetheless.

For my previous blog posts about my “Traveling Dentist” Great-Grandpa Frederick Emory Webster, just click on the links below:
 
The Traveling Dentist - Part 1 The Traveling Dentist - Part 2 The Traveling Dentist - Part 3 The Traveling Dentist - Part 4

Thanks for reading!

© 2012 Copyright by Jana Last

8 comments:

  1. Oh boy, I found some inventions in my family, too. I think I need to pull the stuff out and blog about it - thanks for the reminder. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome for the reminder! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. That is a wonderful post...Shared on my fb page this morning. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yvette, Thank you for the compliment! I am honored that you shared this on your facebook page! Thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Delete
  3. What an interesting man Frederick was - and talented, too! Thanks for sharing about him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Lisa! Yes, I agree with you about Frederick. The more I learn about him, the more I realize how interesting he really was. I wish I knew more about the stories behind the photos I have of him.

      Delete
  4. Wow! You've got some talented great grandfather there! Maybe we've got to thank him for the improved dental paraphernalia being used today in dental offices. Have you seen the dental equipment used in ancient days? They're scary! So it's thanks to people like your great grandpa for the functional and not scary dental tools we have today. =)

    -Carmella Eaglin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carmella, Thank you so much for reading my blog post and for your comments! I really appreciate it!

      Boy, am I glad we have improved dental equipment these days. And if my great-grandpa helped even a little bit with his invention, then I am grateful to him for sure. :)

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...