Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Englewood Cemetery's Excellent Website

A couple of days ago, I introduced you to my maternal great-granduncle, Frank Summers Webster. In that post, I shared with you that Frank and his wife Mildred were buried at Englewood Cemetery in Clinton, Missouri.

I went to the cemetery's website so I could include a link to their website in the blog post about Frank, and found that their website has a tab to search for burial records.

Of course, I had to try out their search feature and I found that this cemetery's website is wonderfully helpful. In fact, it's amazing. So I wanted to share it with you today.

Here's the website's home page. See the "Search Burial Records" tab on the left side?




After clicking on "Search Burial Records" this search box appeared.



I searched for Frank Webster and this was the result. Included in the information are Frank's name, birth and death dates, and where his grave is located. There's also a "Detail" link which provides additional information when pressed.



The following three screenshots show the additional information for Frank Webster after I clicked on the "Detail" link in the Search Results.

This first screenshot shows basically the same information that was in the initial Search Results screenshot. But, it also includes Frank's burial date and how old he was when he passed away.



What's also very helpful is that maps of the Frank's burial location are provided as well. Frank was buried in Block 211.5, Lot 132.75. This screenshot shows Block 211.5.



The next screenshot shows Lot 132.75.

What's so wonderful about the information provided here in this screenshot is that not only is Frank's burial site shown, but burial sites near him. I can see from this image that Frank's wife, Mildred is buried next to him, and their daughter, Christine is buried next to Mildred. I also see that Mildred's parents, Richard and Almira Melton are buried nearby as well. They've even included the GPS Coordinates for Frank's burial site.



At the top of the screenshot that shows Block 211.5, there's a link that says, "Click Here for Lot Location on Google Maps." I did that and this is what I saw.



Isn't this fantastic? It appears that Google Maps used the GPS coordinates of Frank's grave so we can see exactly where Frank's burial site is in Englewood Cemetery.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if all cemetery websites were as amazingly helpful as this one is?

If you have, or think you have, any ancestors buried at Englewood Cemetery, I encourage you to do a search on their website by clicking HERE.


Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2014 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved

12 comments:

  1. Find A Grave could learn something from this cemetery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. That would be awesome, but I don't know how feasible that would be. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. This is worth duplicating for other cemeteries. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I agree. It's too bad every cemetery isn't as helpful as Englewood Cemetery. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Too good to be true! I've left many a cemetery dazed and confused. Whenever that happens again, I'm going to refer those cemeteries to this site. Great find, Jana! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! This cemetery's website certainly is a gem of a find! And something other cemetery's could learn from. I really should send a note of thanks to the Englewood Cemetery for their very fine website. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Other cemeteries need to step up their game and get into the 21st century!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true Wendy, very true! They could learn a lot from Engelwood Cemetery's website. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. I only wish I had people in the cemetery! It is a marvelous web page for them and I am very impressed and wishing there were more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is a wonderful and impressive website! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. A very useful post to remind us of the resource that cemetery websites can be. I have mentioned this post in today's Saturday Serendipity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      Thank you so much for mentioning my post in in your Saturday Serendipity post!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...