Tuesday, July 22, 2014

52 Ancestors: #29 ~ Basil Marion Webster, Another Uncle of "The Traveling Dentist"

This is part of the "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" Challenge begun by Amy Johnson Crow, author of the blog No Story Too Small.


Basil Marion Webster
Basil Marion Webster

Last week, I introduced you to George Washington Webster, who was an uncle of my great-grandfather, Watson (Frederick) Emory Webster, a.k.a. "The Traveling Dentist" here on my blog.

Today I'd like to introduce you to another of Frederick's uncles, Basil Marion Webster.

Basil was born on 22 January 1848 in Racine, Meigs, Ohio to his parents
Moses Augustine Webster and Amanda Melvina Carlisle.

As I mentioned in last week's post about George Washington Webster, my great-grandfather, Frederick, apparently lived with three of his paternal uncles at some time during his life. Basil Marion Webster was one of these uncles that Frederick lived with.1

Basil married Kittie B. Burnett, daughter of Isaac G. Burnett and Rebecca B. Bryant, on 15 July 1869 in Blairstown, Benton, Iowa.

Basil and Kittie were the parents of two children:


  1. Carl Gordon Webster (1870-1871)
  2. Nellie Webster (1872-1960)

According to the History and Genealogy of the Governor John Webster Family of Connecticut,2 Basil was a banker and had previously been a physician.

Basil lived most of his life in Iowa. He passed away on 6 March 1919 in Council Bluffs, Pottawattamie, Iowa at 71 years of age. He was buried in Walnut Hill Cemetery in Council Bluffs, Iowa.


Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2014 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved


1 Hand-written history of places Frederick lived during his life. It was written in Portuguese and most likely written by Debs Warren Webster, Frederick's son.

2 Webster, William Holcomb, and Melville Reuben Webster. History and Genealogy of the Gov. John Webster Family of Connecticut, with Numerous Portraits and Illustrations. 1st ed. Vol. 2. Rochester, New York: E. R. Andrews Printing, 1915. 1184. Print.

6 comments:

  1. Honestly Jana, I am so amazed by all of the wonderful pictures in your possession. How did you become the keeper of the photos? I am sincerely jealous. I am not sure if my ancestors didn't take photos or if they ended up in other's hands (and they aren't sharing!) Having pictures is really the icing on the cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really am blessed to have so many photos handed down to me. Perhaps it helped that my great-grandfather was a photographer in addition to being a dentist. LOL

      Also, I've been able to connect with a 3rd cousin who has lots of photos too. We've been able to share photos with each other, which is awesome! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. He surely was distinguished looking. I wonder why he went from doctoring to banking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good question Wendy. Unfortunately, I don't know at the time. I wonder if there's a way I could find out though. It is interesting that he changed professions. Especially because they are so different from each other. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hi Jana,

    I've just discovered your blog and this is the first I've heard of the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks challenge. I like the concept and enjoyed meeting Basil Marion Thanks for the introducing us.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...