Thursday, June 28, 2012

Treasure Chest Thursday–Goodbye Rio, Hello Trinidad - My Webster Family: Coming Full Circle - From The U.S.A. to Brazil and Back Again - Part 5

When we last left Debs Webster and his family, they had just boarded the S.S. Brazil in Santos, Sao Paulo, Brazil.  Today’s post finds my Webster family sailing from Santos, Brazil to Port-of-Spain, Trinidad, with a port of call in Rio de Janiero.

(If you'd like to catch up to the rest of us, you can view the previous post here.   Oh, and for those of you who enjoy vintage postcards, there's one of those in the previous post too.)

I have prepared a photo and vintage postcard travelogue of this part of their adventure.  So there will just be a few words of explanation scattered throughout.

(Note:  To enlarge the photos and postcards, just click on the images.)

Enjoy the journey!

The map below shows the S.S. Brazil’s ports of call on their way from Santos to New York City.

S.S. Brazil Route to New York Ports of Call
S.S. Brazil's Ports of Call from Santos, Brazil
to New York City July 1952


Goodbye Rio!   If you look closely at the top of the photograph, you can see my Grandfather Debs’ writing in pencil saying goodbye to Rio.

Goodbye Rio on Board the S.S. Brazil July 1952
Goodbye Rio


My mom told me that her stepmomother watched her kids like a hawk on the ship.  Here are my uncles playing in the pool.  In a previous post I shared a couple photos of some kids playing games and enjoying fun activities on board the S.S. Brazil.

My uncles on the S.S. Brazil – July 1952

Lifeboat drill time!

Lifeboat Drill on board the S.S. Brazil July 1952
Lifeboat Drills on the S.S. Brazil – July 1952


The S.S. Brazil held a “Line-Crossing Ceremony” marking the time they crossed the equator. My mom remembers the ceremony was by the pool and the crew members were dressed in costume. According to this website, in the 1940’s this was referred to as King Neptune's Celebration. I’m assuming it was called the same thing in 1952 as well.

CBurnett at WikiMedia Commons



Time to disembark!  Destination?  Port-of-Spain, Trinidad.

Webster Family in Trinidad July 1952
(I don’t know who the man to the left is)


Trinidad July 1952
Trinidad July 1952



Trinidad July 1952
Trinidad July 1952


Trinidad July 1952
Trinidad July 1952



My Mom and her family at Trinidad July 1952
(I don't know who the other people are)



Trinidad July 1952
Trinidad July 1952



Some postcards from Trinidad -


Watermelons for Sale - Trinidad. B.W.I. pg. 1


Watermelons for Sale - Trinidad. B.W.I. pg. 2


Indian Priest - Trinidad. B.W.I. pg. 1


Indian Priest - Trinidad. B.W.I. pg. 2


Hope you've enjoyed this photograph and vintage postcard travelogue of my Grandpa Debs Webster's family.

Next stop...New York City.

Thanks for reading!


Copyright © Jana Last 2012

13 comments:

  1. This was an actual MOVE, right? Not just a vacation. Did they take furniture? Your explanation of the King Neptune Celebration might explain some of the strange costumes among my great-uncle's Navy pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, this was a move. They were immigrating to the U.S. I don't think they took any furniture with them.

      Interesting how much we learn while doing family history research. I didn't know about this King Neptune Celebration, but it sounds like the Navy's celebration wasn't as tame as the civilian ocean liner version.

      Thanks so much for stopping by Wendy! I really appreciat it!

      Delete
  2. You have great treasures indeed in these images ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Yes, I feel very fortunate to have these in my possession.

      Thanks for your comments. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comment! I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great collection of images. And you done a nice job of uncovering the story behind them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anne! It's so fun for me to have discovered these photos and postcards. And it's been fun and interesting to ask my mom about her memories of their trip here to the U.S.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. You are doing a great job documenting your family's trip from Brazil to the U.S. Seeing the photos adds so much to the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Queen Bee! It's been a fun journey for me to look through these photos and postcards too.

      Thanks for stopping by and for your comments. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  6. What phenomenal images!!!!! It's fantastic to follow their journey.

    Cindy at Rosehaven Cottage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cindy. I'm so glad you are enjoying their journey. I'm having fun with it too. :)

      Delete
  7. Wow, I saw this and couldn't resist writing. My family was on the SS Brazil from New York to Rio that same month - We left 24 July 1952! Thanks, for sharing the photos!
    Mark Ackley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mark,

      Wow! That's so cool! So, you must have left a couple of days after my grandparents arrived in New York.

      Thanks for stopping by and for leaving your fun comment!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...