Saturday, June 23, 2012

Sepia Saturday 131–Children's Games on board The S.S. Brazil

This is part of a series of posts dedicated to the immigration story of Debs Webster and his family.

Sepia Saturday provides an opportunity for genealogy bloggers to share their family history through photographs.



Kid's Games on the S.S. Brazil July 1952
The S.S. Brazil - July 1952


Edwin and Sydney Webster at Kid's Activity on board the S.S. Brazil July 1952
On Board the S.S. Brazil July 1952

This week’s Sepia Saturday theme suggests amusement or fun.

So I thought I’d share these photos of children having fun on board the S.S. Brazil.  I don’t know if this was someone’s birthday party or just one of the activities planned for the kids on board the ship.

I imagine a two-weeks or so voyage in the confines of an ocean liner would require a certain degree of creativity on the part of the ship’s employees as they tried to keep the kids entertained and happy.  This is 1952 after all.  There were no hand-held video games, ipods, ipads, laptops, wii or X-box game systems.  Simpler times, right?

These photos are part of a collection of vintage postcards and photographs belonging to my grandfather, Debs Webster.  If you've been following along with my Webster family's story, you may remember that this branch of the Webster family tree came from America to Brazil and then returned to America again.

In my previous installment of this story we found my Grandpa Debs and his family boarding the ship the S.S. Brazil bound for New York City.  Also in this previous post I included a vintage postcard of the S.S. Brazil.  You can read the post here.

For more Sepia Saturday posts click here.

Thanks for reading!



Copyright © Jana Last 2012

18 comments:

  1. Yes, they’d have had their work cut out for sure but the youngsters seemed happy and smiling so they must have got something right!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, the kiddos looked like they were having a great time for sure!

      Delete
  2. What a experience this trip must have been for the children. I'm sure they never forgot it. Did you ever have the opportunity to interview any of your family who traveled together on this voyage? It would be a fun interview - I can think of all sorts of questions I'd like to ask them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually my mom was one of those children on this voyage. There's a picture of her with her family on the ship in my previous post. I'll have to ask her more questions regarding this voyage to America.

      Thanks for reading and for your comments. I really do appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. I've never been on a voyage on a ship, but I can see the problem in keeping people amused and not just the kids years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been on a cruise ship either. Yes, it must have been an interesting challenge to keep the children entertained years ago as you say.

      Thanks for your comments!

      Delete
  4. Cruise lines today have dedicated Kids Clubs and "day care" - I wonder if that was the case in 1952. I do think too the kids were having fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, that's interesting. I've never been on a cruise in my life. I would probably be the one to get seasick!

      Delete
  5. I am sure they had someone in charge of activities. I have been on several ships and there is always staff. Of course I had not been on one in 52.
    QMM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Peggy! Thanks for stopping by.

      They must have had staff in charge of activities in 1952 as well. It does look they did a fantastic job with the kids in those pictures doesn't it?

      Delete
  6. Do you have any idea what the game is that the boys in the first photo are playing? It is not familiar to me at all. They look very focused and thoughtful.
    However in the party photo, the kids are all smile.
    I would also be very interested to hear your mothers memories of the journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon, I will ask my mom about her memories of the journey for sure. Maybe she or my uncle remember what the games were. I'll post something in my blog later if I find anything out. :)

      Thanks for stopping by and for your comments! I really do appreciate it.

      Delete
  7. These are great! The kids seem to be having a fun time. Do you think that in the first one those are frogs or little turtles? I love the boy smiling so happily as he looks at the camera. Two weeks on a ship would be a really long time.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Kathy, I really don't know what those are in the first photo. I'll have to ask my mom and/or uncle to see if they have any ideas and post what I found out later.

      Thanks for stopping by and for your comments! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  8. What an adventure for your mom and the other children. I hope that these activities let the parents have a chance to enjoy the cruise as well.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'll bet these activities were much appreciated by the parents on board. :)

      Thanks for stopping by and for your comments. I really do appreciate it.

      Delete
  9. I can't tell what those little things on the deck are, but it looks like there is a ring around them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I talked to my mom today and she said the kids were playing shuffleboard.

      Thanks so much for reading my blog and for your comment. I really appreciate it!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...