Saturday, June 30, 2012

Sepia Saturday 132–June 30, 2012: The Rose Bowl–A Vintage Postcard

Sepia Saturday provides an opportunity for genealogy bloggers to share their family history through photographs.


Sepia Saturday 132 June 30, 2012

This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt had me stumped for a while.  I struggled a bit to find the perfect photo to fit with the sports theme.

Well, I have to give a big thank you to my Grandpa Debs Webster on this one.  I found this awesome vintage postcard of The Rose Bowl from his scrapbook.  It’s part of his collection of vintage postcards that look to be from the 1950’s.  It may be one he and his family collected while on their way to Southern California after immigrating to the U.S. in 1952.

If you’re new to their story of immigration, you can check out the latest post here.  (You will find more vintage postcards in my previous posts about their immigration story too.)


Here’s The Rose Bowl Vintage Postcard -



Just a few interesting historical facts about The Rose Bowl:
  • January 1, 1923 – The stadium is named “The Rose Bowl” and is dedicated at the first New Year’s Day college football game held there.  USC beat Penn State 14-3.  The game was delayed more than an hour because Penn State’s team was stuck in traffic.
  • 1932 – The Summer Olympics is held in Los Angeles with the cycling events taking place at The Rose Bowl.
  • 1962 – The Rose Bowl game is the first college football game broadcast nationally in color.
  • 1969 – Aluminum benches replace wooden benches.
  • 2012 – In keeping with the “Tournament of Roses” tradition of not holding the game or Rose Parade on Sunday, the parade and game are held on Monday, January 2.

The following websites  Rose Bowl History and Rose Bowl Stadium History were the sources for the previous interesting facts.

To view other Sepia Saturday participant's posts, click here.


Thanks for reading!

Jana

Copyright © Jana Last 2012

22 comments:

  1. Great postcard. I'm not sure aluminum is an improvement over wood -- no splinters, but aluminum can be either hot or cold when you want it to be the other way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy! Thanks for your comment! Hmm, you're right about the aluminum vs. wood benches. I hadn't really thought about that. :)

      Delete
  2. Thank goodness for Grandfather Debs and his vintage postcard collection. Don’t be stumped though, the theming is only part of the fun at Sepia Saturday; we’re happy to have you joining in with any pictures you’d like to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my Grandpa Debs' vintage postcards are really fun! Thanks for your kind advice and for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Great postcard! I just found a stack of postcards yesterday in all of the treasures I'm sorting through - I might have to look at them a little closer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stack of postcards sounds like a fun find for you! Thanks for stopping by and for your comments!

      Delete
  4. These are really cool. I enjoyed the trivia too.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed the trivia and the postcard. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your comments Kathy!

      Delete
  5. That's some stadium. I've only seen the Rosebowl on TV and then we don't get a shot of the whole stadium like this card.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never been there in person either, but you're right, it does look rather large on the postcard.

      Thanks so much for stopping by Bob!

      Delete
  6. I felt short on ideas too, especially when I had little blogging time, and the 4th of July on our brains...but anything goes at Sepia Saturday really....on theme or off....and there is so much of yesterday (long ago) just waiting to be posted here for all of us to enjoy....!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I just read and posted on your blog. It was great! Like you said, anything goes on Sepia Saturday really.

      Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Happy 4th of July!

      Delete
  7. Enjoyed the trivia. Did you know the Rose Bowl hosted events for the 1984 Olympics too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying the trivia Queen Bee! That's cool about the 1984 Olympics at The Rose Bowl. Thanks for the additional info.!

      Delete
  8. Hi Jana,
    I enjoyed the Rose Bowl post card. I've been there many times, mostly for the best swap meet in So. Calif.
    I can't imagine that there would have been a traffic jam in 1923. But I can sure imagine it today!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nancy! I'm glad you enjoyed the postcard.

      That traffic jam fact was interesting. Hmm, even back then Southern Cal had traffic jams! Some things never change.

      Thanks for stopping by and for your comments. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  9. Not being a sports fan I'd never given much thought to the Rose Bowl. I'm surprised to see that it actually looks like a bowl! How kind of your grandfather to support your Sepia Saturday posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do appreciate my grandfather's support for sure! It's been so fun to go through his vintage postcard collection.

      Thanks so much for reading and for your comments. I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  10. It really does look like a bowl from the air.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Postcardy, Yep, it really does! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Well thanks to our grandparents for saving the stuff they did!! I only wish mine had save more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm so thankful my grandpa saved the stuff he did. No matter how much we have, I think we all wish our ancestors saved even more stuff though right? (sigh). Some things I wish I had now? My great-grandfather's old dental tools, photography equipment, etc.

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...