Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Thankful Thursday–FamilySearch, Ancestry.com, and Names In Stone


I was so thrilled to find my 2nd great-grandmother's death certificate on FamilySearch.org recently! Her name is Karin Johnsson and she was born in Sweden on July 9, 1850. Karin is the grandmother of my Grandma Ingrid. I introduced you to Ingrid in my earlier posts Wedding Wednesday - Arthur Harry Iverson and Ingrid Anna Gilberg and Matrilineal Monday: Flour Sack Dresses - Ingrid Anna Gilberg. Karin’s parents' names are Johan Larsson and Johanna Christina Lycka. Karin married Johan Erik Carlsson. She immigrated to the United States sometime before 1910.

In the 1910 Federal Census she is listed as "Carrie," not Karin and she was living with her daughter Hilda Gillberg's family in Salt Lake City, Utah.[1] The census also lists Karin's year of immigration as 1891. That is a different year than what was recorded in my Grandmother Ingrid's history. I'll have to do some research to resolve this. I also find it interesting to see that according to this census, Karin (Carrie) could speak English, while the rest of the family could not, and instead spoke Swedish.
 

1910 Federal Census

I had been looking at how I could order Karin's death certificate online. Little did I know that it was waiting for me here on FamilySearch.org! It turned out the death date I had was incorrect. I was off by a year, and I had the wrong month. It was great to see the correct date on the death certificate so I could update my records. The informant on Karin's death certificate is Mrs. Hilda Gillberg, who is Karin's daughter. I was able to find Hilda and her family in the 1940 Census. I also see that Karin's father is listed as Larson Grip. Not sure what that means. Actually I guess it means more research. J

I’m also thankful for Ancestry.com because I was able to find cemetery records for Karin so now I can go visit her gravesite.

Speaking of Karin's gravesite, I discovered a really awesome website called Names In Stone. Maybe I'm a latecomer in regards to knowing about this website, but just in case there is anyone out there who doesn't know about it, I wanted to share. I googled Salt Lake City Cemetery, which is where Karin is buried and found this awesome website Names In Stone. I was able to pinpoint Karin's exact plot at the cemetery using their website's search engine. How great is that? Here's a link to Karin's actual plot map so you can see what this page on the website looks like: Carrie Carlson. And if you click on the Cemetery Info tab at the top you see a map of the cemetery and the location of your ancestor's grave. This should definitely be helpful when I visit Karin's grave sometime in the future.

More about Karin Johnsson in an upcoming post....

Thanks for reading!


Copyright © Jana Last 2012

[1] Year: 1910; Census Place: Salt Lake City Ward 1Salt LakeUtah; Roll: T624_1605; Page: 9A; Enumeration District: 0096; Image: 667; FHL microfilm: 1375618Ancestry.com. 1910 United States Federal Census [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations Inc, 2006.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent finds! I'm going to check out Names in Stone -- that's a new one to me too.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...