Monday, February 11, 2013

Thanks for Traveling Frederick!–Another U.S. Consular Registration Application ~ 1923

This is part of a series of posts in which I share the documents relating to the travels of Watson (Frederick) Emory Webster and his family.

US Consular Registration Applications 1916-1925 Frederick Webster 1923
U.S. Consular Registration Applications
1916-1925 from Ancestry.com (see Footnote)
Frederick Emory Webster 1923

In my last "Thanks for Traveling Frederick!" post, I shared a U.S. Consular Registration Application from 1917.  I also mentioned how beneficial it is to have an ancestor who liked to travel.  The paper trail left behind can be invaluable.

The travel-related document I'm sharing with you today is another U.S. Consular Registration Application,1 only this one is from 1923.  Just like the 1917 application,
this document is full of interesting and valuable genealogical information.

Here's a list of the information contained in this document:


  • Frederick's full name
  • Frederick's place and date of birth
  • Frederick's father's name and place of birth
  • Date Frederick left the United States – April 15, 1922 (new information)
  • Frederick arrived at Irapuato, Mexico on August 15, 1922 and he and his children were residing there at the time this document was filled out (new information)
  • Frederick's purpose for living in Irapuato, Mexico was to practice dentistry (new information)
  • Timeline additions for Frederick – Mexico from 1902 to 1911, Brazil from 1911 to 1921, and Mexico from 1922 to date document was filled out in 1923 (new information)
  • Frederick's legal residence was Brinkley, Arkansas (this would explain the photo of him and his children at a dental office in Brinkley, Arkansas) (new information)
  • Frederick intended to return to the United States within one year or when business permitted (new information)
  • Frederick did not pay American Income Tax because his total annual income was insufficient (new information)
  • Frederick applied for registration at the Consulate in Santos, Brazil (I think that's the one I already have from 1917)
  • Frederick's wife, Esther, was deceased at the time this application was filled out
  • Esther's place of birth is listed
  • Only three of Fred and Esther's five children are listed in this application (little Eugene Rollin is no longer listed.  I believe he and his younger sister Alice passed away before 1923.)
  • Bonus again – Frederick's signature
  • Frederick's age and physical description

As you can see, this document is full of amazing genealogical gold nuggets.  So, remember to check travel-related documents for your ancestors.  You never know what you may find.

Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2013 Copyright by Jana Last


1 Ancestry.com. U.S., Consular Registration Applications, 1916-1925 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2012. Original data: Department of State, Division of Passport Control Consular Registration Applications

8 comments:

  1. Hi Jana,

    Your Frederick finds keep getting better and better! It's great that new information keeps showing up, giving you more and more pieces to his life.

    Congrats!
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy, Thanks! Yes, it really is awesome to have yet another U.S. Consular Registration Application to look through. I wish I could find the application from 1915, but that year doesn't seem available at the moment on Ancestry.

      Thanks for reading and for your comments! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  2. I have to confess, I've never heard of Consular Registration Applications before and what a great source of information. I learn so much from your blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle,

      I'd never heard of Consular Registration Applications either until I saw these for my great-grandfather. But, wow, am I glad I to have found these amazing documents. They are so full of great information.

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Jana,

    Thank you for your comment on my blog. Because of that, I think I found a better and easier way to link the post with the article. I f you get a chance, try it again. :-), and please comment (especially if it doesn't work). My blog is a work in progress.

    Regards, Grant

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Grant,

      I just checked out your blog post again, and the link works. Thanks! Your blog is great and believe me, my blog is a work in progress too.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. You are performing a kind of Evidentia-type analysis on this Consular Registration Application, which is great: stating each claim separately that the document makes. Ancestry gives so many leads to documents. Even though I had to borrow a book from Interlibrary Loan to complete some blogs about my ancestors, I found the book (about first settlers in SC, which is a kind of travel document, I guess) first referenced on Ancestry. Did you have to take another step to find this document, or did Ancestry actually provide it?

    Enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mariann,

      Yes, I love Ancestry.com. It's one of my favorite genealogy websites. I didn't have to take another step to find this document. It was right there on Ancestry.com, which was awesome!

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...