Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Obituaries on FamilySearch

I recently received a fun email from FamilySearch. Here's a screenshot showing part of it.


The email said that they had found an obituary for one of my ancestors named John T. Waterman. I clicked on the "See the Obituary" link and was brought to the page in the screenshot below.


I clicked on the "Sign In" tab and a list of ancestors showed up that included John T. Waterman. This is a screenshot showing part of the list. How fun is this?! Thank you FamilySearch!


These obituaries may not be for the ancestors in the list, but these ancestors may be mentioned in the obituaries.

Obituaries are wonderful resources that can contain helpful information and clues for finding additional ancestors.

Have you received a similar email from FamilySearch?

Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2016 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. I got a similar email a few days ago, for the first time. It just keeps getting better and better, Jana!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome Becky! And yes, FamilySearch does just keep getting better and better. :)

      Delete
  2. Haven't gotten such an e-mail, but I remember indexing a LOT of obituaries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is it restricted only to church members? I didn't get the email either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry, but I don't know the answer to your question. I have a copy of my family tree on FamilySearch Family Tree. Do you have a copy of your tree there too?

      Delete
  4. I do not have a tree on FS but it's on my to-do list. Like Amanda, I indexed quite a few obituaries too. Now I see how that project is being put to use.

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...