Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Wednesday's Child ~ Remembering Carl Martin Gillberg

Carl Martin Gillberg was the third of nine children, and the only son, born to my paternal great-grandparents Carl Albert Gillberg and Hilda Maria Carlsson.

Carl Martin was born on November 12, 1904 in Eskilstuna, Södermanland, Sweden and passed away on January 23, 1906. He was only one year and two months old when he died.

In one of my
Grandma Ingrid's Books of Remembrance, I found the following page (it's a large page and I'm only showing part of it here).

Pg 27

Sadly, the place for little Carl Martin's picture is empty.

It appears that he was called by his middle name Martin. I'm assuming this is because his father's name was Carl.

Here is Carl Martin's birth record
1 in Sweden:

Carl Martin Gillberg - Sweden Indexed Birth Records

Here's a cropped version of the document above just showing Carl Martin Gillberg's birth record.

Carl Martin Gillberg - Sweden Indexed Birth Records

I wish I knew what the note in the far right column says. If anyone can read Swedish and would like to help me out with this, I would very much appreciate it. Here's a closer look at that far right column.




I looked through my Grandma Ingrid's Books of Remembrance and couldn't find any information about Carl Martin's cause of death, although Ingrid mentioned that Carl was a healthy child. From what she also wrote, it sounds like Carl was a big boy and was large for his age.

Three years after Carl Martin's death, the family began immigrating to the United States. Part of the family left in 1909 and the rest left Sweden in 1910.

Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2013 Copyright by Jana Last




1 Swedish Church Records Archive; Johanneshov, Sweden; Sweden, Indexed Birth Records, 1880-1920; GID Number: 79.147.34100; Roll/Fiche Number: CK2837; Volume: SCB; Record Type: Födde (Births); Year Range: 1898 - 1920. Ancestry.com. Sweden, Indexed Birth Records, 1880-1920 [database on-line]. Provo, UT, USA: Ancestry.com Operations, Inc., 2011. Original data: Swedish Church Records Archive. Johanneshov, Sweden: Genline AB.

12 comments:

  1. Jana: Just a thought . . . I tried to expand and read the writing to the far right, but cannot make out the letters in the handwriting. IF the copy you have is clearer and you can make out the letters (even close guesses) you can go to Google "Translate" (under the mORE DROP DOWN ON THE gOOGLE HOME PAGE) and enter what you think the words might be to get some general idea of how it might translate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      I've added a cropped view of the far right column now. I don't know if that helps or not. It's still a bit difficult to read. Thanks for your suggestion about Google Translate. I've used that in the past. I should try it again with this and see what it comes up with. Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this, Jana! I'm going to use this as a "key" for identifying the Gilberg clan whenever I scan a photo with them in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cindy,

      You're welcome! And thank you for all of your hard work scanning all of those slides. They are amazing! I will email the other side of this page to you.

      Delete
  3. Hi, just checking, I left you a message (in the contact me section) yesterday with cause of death of Carl Martin and what I think it says in the far right column. Hope you got it? /Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Linda,

      No, I didn't receive your message. I redid my Contact Me section and removed the contact form. Now I'm wondering how many people have tried to contact me in the past. I will leave a message on your blog. Thank you for helping me out with Carl Martin's cause of death and the writing in the far right column!

      Delete
    2. Hi,
      I hope you got my email this morning, the attachments was about 8Mb but I don't think that would be a problem. All the best and have a nice weekend! /Linda

      Delete
    3. Thank you Linda! I did receive your email with the attached documents. Let the genealogy happy dance begin! =) Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. Jana: I am playing around with various interpretations of the written letters in your cropped view. The only thing I have come up with thus far is that the last word in the first line looks like "dopet" to me. Google translate says it means "baptism," could be a good clue. I'm going to play with it a bit more and see if I stumble on anything else that could make sense. And then I might send this to some friends I have in Sweden and see if they can help. I'm intrigued by what it might say. The year 1904 in the second line is probably the year Carl Martin was baptised since he was born November 12, 1904. The number that looks like a 12 could possibly be the day CM was born or maybe the month of December if his baptism was delyaed a few weeks? I don't see the number above the 1904 as being 382 since there are not 382 days in a year so it would not be noting the numerical day in the year of 1904. Puzzling, but fun to work on. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi John,

      Thank you so much for trying to figure out what little Carl's birth record says. I've been contacted by Linda, who left a comment above, and by email and she has supplied me with the translation.

      Thank you so much again for trying to decipher Carl's birth record. You are so kind to do this! =)

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...