Monday, September 8, 2014

52 Ancestors: #36 ~ My Great-Grandmother - Rosalia Rodrigues Vasques

This is part of the "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" Challenge begun by Amy Johnson Crow, author of the blog No Story Too Small.



I believe this is a picture of my maternal great-grandmother, Rosalia Rodrigues Vasques. I cropped it from a larger group photo, which I will share at a later time.

I introduced you to Rosalia's husband, Alvaro Borges Da Silva Madeira, in a previous post. If you missed that post and would like to read about Alvaro, who was a Naval Engineer in Brazil, click HERE.

Rosalia was born 4 September 1857 to her parents Mathias Rodrigues Vasques and Margarida De Farias Correa. Rosalia was christened on 8 December 1857 in São Pedro, Rio Grande, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.

Rosalia and her husband Alvaro were the parents of five children.

  1. Maria Isabel Vasques Madeira (1890-?)
  2. Agrippina Vasques Madeira (1894-?)
  3. Alvaro Borges Madeira (1895-1960)
  4. Lucia Vasques Madeira (1896-?)
  5. Sarah Vasques Madeira (1900-1942) [My Grandmother]

My records indicate that Rosalia passed away on 24 April 1930 in Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil at 72 years of age.

Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2014 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. Roots in Brazil. I have never researched there. I hope it is not too difficult to obtain records.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are wonderful baptism records in Brazil. They have amazing information contained in them. I'll be sharing at least one of these records in a future post. Thanks for stopping by Colleen!

      Delete
  2. I agree with Wendy, she does have a pretty name. I have often wished I had been more into genealogy when we were naming our children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! It is a pretty name. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. I think it's so interesting that you have such recent ancestors for South America, Jana. Are you fluent in more than English? Have you traveled south to the places they lived? And you have so many photographs! Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,

      Unfortunately, I'm only fluent in English. My mother was born in Brazil, as were her parents. I wish I had been taught Portuguese when I was young. I haven't traveled to Brazil, but my grandparents made a couple of return trips there after they immigrated to the United States.

      As far as the photographs our family has, I'm so thankful for them! They are a real blessing.

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...