Monday, September 1, 2014

52 Ancestors: #35 ~ Jerusha Waterman – Daughter of a War of 1812 Veteran

This is part of the "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" Challenge begun by Amy Johnson Crow, author of the blog No Story Too Small.


Jerusha Waterman Dow


Today I'd like to introduce you to my maternal 2nd great-grandaunt, Jerusha S. Waterman. She was born about 1827 in Ohio to her parents Asher Waterman and Bathsheba Paulk.

Her father, Asher Waterman, was a War of 1812 veteran.

This photo of Jerusha was found in the photo album of my 2nd great-grandfather, Ebenezer Perry Carlisle Webster, who was a Civil War veteran. Ebenezer was married to Jerusha's sister, Cynthia Maria Waterman. Here's a photo of the page where Jerusha's picture was found in Ebenezer's photo album.



The handwriting at the bottom of the album page reads: "Mas Sister Jerusia Dow." If you'd like to see more photos of Ebenezer's photo album, click HERE.


Jerusha married William Wallace Dow on 10 June 1857 in Lee County, Iowa. William was a widower with six children, five of whom were living at the time he and Jerusha married.

Jerusha and William had two children together:


  1. Mary Eunice Dow (1858-1935)
  2. Arthur Wallace Dow (1860-1910)

Jerusha's husband William passed away on 9 December 1880. She passed away almost thirteen years later on 19 September 1893 in Persia, Harrison, Iowa at 66 years of age.

Thanks for reading!

Jana

© 2014 Copyright by Jana Last, All Rights Reserved

8 comments:

  1. My great grandfather had a sister named Jerusha. With so many old fashioned names making a comeback, I wonder how soon "Jerusha" will make an appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never heard of anyone named Jerusha these days. It doesn't seem to be quite as popular as other old fashioned names. But, who knows? Maybe it will come back in style. Thanks for stopping by! =)

      Delete
  2. Jerusha. That's a name I have not heard before. Her photo is wonderful. It is amazing how well some photos hold up over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so grateful to my 3rd cousin for this beautiful photo. And yes. It is amazing how some old photos are preserved so very well over the years. Thank you for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. My daughter went to elementary school with a girl named Jerusha - such a pretty name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? How interesting! I've never known anyone named Jerusha before. It is a pretty name though. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. The collection of photos you have never ceases to amaze! I have the name Waterman in my family...as a first name. I suspect there are some with that surname, but haven't found them yet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally! I can't take credit for owning this photo though. It actually is part of my 3rd cousin's collection. And I'm so thankful to her for allowing me to use it in my blog. Thanks for stopping by! =)

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...