Saturday, September 22, 2012

Sepia Saturday 144–Why Not Stand On Your Head?

Sepia Saturday provides an opportunity for genealogy bloggers to share their family history through photographs.

Sepia Saturday 144 September 22, 2012
Alan from Sepia Saturday has given us several options for our photo prompt today ~ ex-convicts, young boys, striped pajamas, as well as those photos we all have taken which weren’t exactly “picture perfect.”

Kind of like our Sepia Saturday photo above.  Notice anything unusual?  Yep, the gentleman is missing his head.  Uh Oh!  And that was another option we could have gone with.  The inevitable “missing limb photo” from our own photo collections.

Instead of showing you a photo of someone missing their head, I’ve decided to share a photo of someone standing ON their head.

Jan Albert Iverson

Who is this you ask?  This is Jan Albert Iverson, my Dad.  I really don’t know just how old he is in this photo, but I would guess he is a rather youngish boy.  And I don't know if he was just being silly or was showing his athleticism (hey mom!  look what I can do!).

What I do know is that I love this photo of my Dad in his youth.

To me it shows Dad's silly side.  In many ways he really was a kid at heart.  He was a very good
dad to us three kids.  Here are a few examples of the special times we kids shared with our dad ~


  • When my two brothers and I were little kids, he would take us to the park on Saturday mornings.  He had made a parachute out of silky fabric and attached a heavy metal washer to the ends of the strings.  He would throw it high into the air and we kids delightedly watched as it would gently float toward the ground.
  • When we were little kids, our family owned a green 1964 Volkswagen Bug.  Remember those?  On occasion, my Dad and Mom would gather us kids together and we would all pile into our green VW Bug and drive over to A&W to get Papa, Mama and Baby Burgers and frosty mugs of root beer. Then we would head over to the drive-in to watch a movie.  Fun times!
  • My Dad loved football and I remember sitting on the couch in front of the TV watching football games with him. Ya, I still love football!

My Dad was a loving husband and father, a computer programmer by profession, and a genealogist/family historian as well.

Thanks for traveling with me down memory lane.  And to think all these memories started with a photo of my dad standing on his head!

To see what other Sepia Saturday participants have written this week, there’s no need to STAND ON ceremony, just HEAD on over to Sepia Saturday.

Thanks for reading!

Jana

Copyright © Jana Last 2012

33 comments:

  1. One of my biggest disappointments as a kid was that I was never able to do a handstand or headstand. No arm strength, I guess. Your memories are so fun. We did the drive-in theater too but we had no A&W nearby. I enjoyed this post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy,

      Thanks so much for your kind comments! It was fun for me to remember these special times with my dad.

      Delete
  2. What a fun posting and a lovely profile and tribute to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue,

      Thanks so much for reading my Sepia Saturday post and for your kind comments! I really appreciate it!

      Delete
  3. That's a great picture of your dad. It's fun to see our parents as they were as children - it brings to light a different side of their personality or reminds us of something we love about them. I loved those trips to the A&W for a frosty mug of root beer too! And now that you mention it - the Papa, Mama, and Baby burgers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathy, I agree, it is really fun to see photos of our parents when they were younger.

      And yes, A&W root beer is sooo delicious!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. Great picture Jana, I've never been able to do that. May I suggest that one day you show this picture upside down? See for yourself, it's funny.
    I am also pleased that this photo creates so many nice memories for you. Isn't that the most important reason to keep pictures, if necessary in a shoe box?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Peter,

      HA! You're so funny! I did look at the photo upside down and yes, it is rather funny isn't it?

      I wonder who took this photo of my dad. Whoever it was, I'm glad they did!

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Ah...A&W with their frosty mugs. I wasn't much for the root beer. But the orange float...now that was a different matter!

    Great pic to remember your dad's younger years. He looks like a fun guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jacqi,

      Hmm, I've never had an orange float before. If it's anything like an orange creamsicle than I'm in!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. What a fun picture. It really does show his fun side - and a very impressive headstand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Yes, I really love this photo of my dad.

      Thank you so much for reading and commenting. I appreciate it!

      Delete
  7. I had to use a wall to achieve a headstand without collapsing in a heap. That oarachute game seems to have been universal. There were several hung up on telephone wires in our village.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob,

      It's interesting to know that homemade parachutes were universally popular. I'll bet there were lots of upset little kids when their parachutes got stuck on the telephone wires.

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  8. That is a well-deserved love poem to your Dad if ever there was one. You took the them and stood it on its head. Good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alan,

      Aw, that's very sweet of you to say that!

      Thank you so much for stopping by and reading my post, and for your kind comments. I really do appreciate it!

      Delete
  9. What a special tribute to your dad. He sounds like a great father and fun person to spend time with. Isn't it wild how a picture can instantly trigger memories? My family also went to the drive-in when we were kids - what fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Queen Bee,

      Thanks for your kind words. Yes, my dad was a really wonderful father. We miss him.

      Thank you so very much for stopping by!

      Delete
  10. Great shot! I wasn't able to do a headstand until my 30s. Then for a few brief years I was doing cartwheels, splits, and headstands. I have no idea how or why this happened, but I know I couldn't do any of them now if my life depended on it.

    Your memories of evenings out for a drive and a burger reflect mine, except mine were in a 1956 Chevy convertible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tattered and Lost,

      I don't know that I was ever able to do a headstand in my life, although I tried other types of gymnastics-type moves (nothing extraordinary though) when I was a kid. I won't even attempt any of those things you mentioned now. I'm sure I would injure myself if I did.

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  11. Given his profession as an adult,
    one can safely assume he put his head to good use!!
    :)~
    HUGZ

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! That's funny...and true.

      Thanks for stopping by!!

      Delete
    2. I can only speak the truth [as I see it...].
      You'll get to know me, if you so wishes...
      It's just part of my ethics!!!
      :)~
      HUGZ

      Delete
  12. Alan, as usual, has said what I thought, but that doesn't stop me adding that I really enjoyed this post and the way the picture of your Dad prompted so many happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Little Nell,

      Thank you so much for your kind words. And thanks for taking the time to read this post and for your comments.

      Delete
  13. I love this post! Isn't it great when something sparks our memory and we can relive some very special times? I remember A&W, too but like someone else said, I wasn't in to root beer at all so I always had orange soda. Not sure I ever tried an orange float but I'll bet it's good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Debi,

      Thanks so much for your kind comments! Mmm...yes, both orange soda and A&W are so yummy.

      Thanks for stopping by! I appreciate it!

      Delete
  14. I used to be envious of people who could do headstands. I couldn't even come close. Your dad sounds like he was a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Postcardy,

      I don't even remember if I ever was able to accomplish this feat or not actually, or if I ever really attempted it as a kid. But I know I wouldn't even attempt one now for sure!

      Thanks so much for stopping by!

      Delete
  15. Such a nice tribute to your dad. Such great memories. I remember watching football with my dad too. I'm grateful for your post because it caused me to remember all the fun times with my dad.
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy,

      Hurray! Another father/daughter football watching duo!

      I'm so glad to know my post sparked fun memories of your dad.

      Thanks so much for stopping by! I really do appreciate it!

      Delete
  16. A fun photo and good tribute. I think he was trying to smile but finding the pull of gravity a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike,

      Thanks so much for reading and for you kind comments! I really do appreciate it very much!

      Delete

Printfriendly

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...